Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Manulife’s ‘Hongkie’ finds a home in Malaysia


by Alfean Hardy
The insurance industry was the last thing on young Michael Chan Yui Ling's mind when he began his working career. For the Hong Kong Islander, the life of an accountant was what he wanted. Leading the operations of Manulife Holdings Bhd here was probably not something he would have imagined was in his future.
"I'm a Hongkie, a Hong Kong person. I was educated there, I met my wife there, my house is there, my car is there, I got my kids there.
"For the past 15 years, I've been doing a lot of regional projects for (parent company Manulife Financial Corp) but I've always been in Hong Kong. This is my first international assignment," he told The Malaysian Reserve recently.
As a graduate of Hong Kong Polytechnic University with an accountancy degree, Chan had set his sights on becoming an accountant. At no time had the idea of venturing into the insurance business crept into his mind.
"The shift was unplanned. After I graduated, I went to the government to become an accounting officer. Then I decided to see the commercial world in 1982 but, unfortunately, there was a market crash in 1983 and the company I was in was being wound up.
"At that time, because the market was bad, I needed a job. So, I got a job with a local insurance brokering firm, Everbest, and that's how I started my insurance career," he added.
After 10 years with the firm, Chan got a call from Manulife Hong Kong. "I was doing well at Everbest, being an accountant as well as taking care of its subisidiary, which later became a top broker for Manulife.
"And it was in 1991 that the Manulife group insurance vice president approached me and said 'why not join and see the other part of the business'.
"I told him I didn't want to join and that I was happy with my job and my company. But he was consistent. He talked to me consistently for 10 months. He was serious. He wanted someone to run their sales and marketing. Finally, I met their general manager for Asia and other people and I was impressed. I finally joined Manulife in 1992, Feb 15," he added.
Between that time and now, Chan has held three positions within the Manulife group.
"I was the head of sales and marketing for group insurance and pension. When group insurance was split between pensions and group life and health insurance, I headed (the latter) in 1999.
"In 2004, I was appointed head of agency for Manulife Hong Kong. I was there until 2009 when I was asked to run a country (operation). "It was something that I hadn't done before and it was a good development in my career. And I welcome that," he said.
Chan said he had been well prepared by his predecessors for how things were here. "Manulife in the Asian region is a very transparent operation and there's a lot of chance to talk to the senior management of other countries. I knew the management here well and I anticipated the situation before I came.
"I like the country, especially the clean air and the clean city. I like the food here. Malaysia is a good country because there are a lot of advantages because of the environment, the resources and there aren't too many people per area compared to my hometown where you see people every where.
All the time you see people," he said. Chan is here on his own, with his wife visiting regularly from Hong Kong. His eldest son is currently in a UK university, his second son is set to enter a university in Hong Kong this year and his daughter is in her last year of high school.
"My wife has promised that she will join me here once our daughter graduates," he said. Asked how long his posting was, Chan said that depended on his boss. "I hope I can stay here long. I love the country and I like the working team. If I can be longer here, I would be more happy to be here. I like it here," he added.

(This story appeared in The Malaysian Reserve on May 27, 2009. The Malaysian Reserve is a daily business/finance newspaper published out of Kuala Lumpur, with a sectoral page on insurance & takaful called UNDERWRITER)

No comments:

Post a Comment